Pages

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Attaching the collar

I was expecting great things when I laid out one of these cookies last night. These are chocolate cookies with big chewy chunks of fudge. The biscuits are slightly soft, and melt in the mouth. Mmmmm...

And it seems that I wasn't to be disappointed.
 Here is the coat with the undercollar stitched in place and the facing added. It's definitely starting to look very 'coaty'.
This closeup shows the intersection of the undercollar (on the left) and the front and facing. The facing is sew up to the point where the rever and collar meet, and then snipped back.

Unfortunately while busy admiring their handiwork, I noticed a small cut in the fabric on the underside of the collar. I think it must have happened while the elves were clipping and grading the seams. I can't see any way of mending it, and for the effort I putting into the coat (or at least the elves are), I don't want it praying on my mind. Otherwise everytime I look it, I'll wish I'd redone it. And I am absolutely positive that the first time Ellie wears it to see her grandmother, my mother-in-law will unerringly home on it. Isn't that always the way?

So bravely, I have taken off the collar, and seperated the undercollar from the collar. I have enough material left to cut another one, so I'm going to do that today. The elves are going to have their work cut out for them as the coat has already been cut back, so the seam allowances are going to be very small now. It might not be a bad thing though as I think the neckline was a little bit tight when I tried it on Ellie. I might take the opportunity to redo the upper collar as well, and make it a bit wider. After all, I don't want to choke her when I do the buttons up.

Buttons. That's something to cheer me up. I think a coat like this deserves pretty amazing buttons. It's a 2cm buttonstand, so I think a 2cm button will look pretty grand. I was thinking of a bold colour, but what about having each button a different colour. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I think a buttons of different color are a brilliant idea. I also tend to hone in on the one color that you don't notice right off the bat and adorn with that color to make it stand out a bit more. Love the coat. Can't wait to see the finished product! Thanks for following my blog. I look forward to following yours as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the least prominent colour is the bright yellow. I've have a look around and see what buttons I can find. Trimmings are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete